Did signing out of Postman really just delete all my data?

I’ve been using Postman without signing in for months. Our company is pretty restrictive about putting anything in the cloud. I did want to see what else I could do with an account, so I signed up and signed in. After poking around, I decided I didn’t see enough value so I signed-out. There was some message about deleting things, but I figured since I hadn’t created anything new I didn’t have anything to save. After signing out, when I restart Postman, all of my previous requests and collections seem to have been deleted. Is this really what happened, or is there some way to recover what I had been using?

Thanks.

Hey @jhowe!

Sorry to hear you’re having problems here – locally stored data is wiped when a user signs out of the app.

If you have backups of your local files, we may be able to guide you through the restoration process.

Unfortunately I don’t have backups. I do have one collection that I had exported previously, so I will be able to restore that. I must say that I was not expecting Postman to basically take ownership of my local files just because I signed in to a cloud account. When I saw the message about deleting local files, I thought that Postman might delete some files that were created while I was logged on, and I was fine with that. I didn’t know that Postman was going to wipe out the work I had done before I ever created a Postman account. Sadly our office desktops are not backed up (something I’ve complained about), so it seems that the requests I had created are now gone and I’ll have to recreate them as needed. I really find Postman useful, but I don’t understand why it would need to wipe out all data just because you sign out of your account.

1 Like

You also might want to read about - Data dump in Postman

Which will help you to backup all your data across the workspaces that you’ve joined.

Yes, in hindsight that would have been a good thing to do and it is something that I will take advantage of going forward.

Thanks!

1 Like