Get Folder Names of a Collection

Hi,

for a relatively large API test project (about 1000 requests) i need a generic way to access the folder name of any request in the test scripts. Due to the high effort hard coding the folder names manually is not an option.

I couldn’t find a way to do this. The only thing I found was how to create a collection object (http://www.postmanlabs.com/postman-collection/), but this won’t help me unfortunately.

It is possible to get the current request name by using:

pm.info.requestName

What I am looking for is something like:

pm.info.folderName (I know this doesn't exist)

Has anyone any idea how to get the name of the request’s folder?

Hi @hbertsch!

Outside of creating a Collection object, there isn’t a Sandbox method for getting folder name right now (but we do have an open feature request for it)

How many folders are you dealing with? What about this:

In each folder, add a pre-request script that sets a local variable with the name of the folder. You’d have to hard-code the folder name value, but if you don’t have a ton of folders this could work:

Folder A —> Pre-request script —> pm.variables.set('folder_name','Folder A');

Then, any script in your Collection can access the current folder name by using:
pm.variables.get('folder_name');

When the Collection run moves to the next folder, that folder would (ideally) contain the same script, but with it’s own value.

2 Likes

Hi, sorry for the long delay of my response :wink: have been to vacation.
Your suggested approach did the trick for me. I have added a Pre-Requests-Script to each folder (about 20) and wrote the required info to a temp var.
In my tests I have then used it to write the folder name into the test results like this:

var folderID = pm.environment.get('folderID');
pm.test(folderID, function () {

}); 

Thank you for your input :slight_smile: However a native feature still would be great

1 Like

@hbertsch Awesome! Glad that worked for you. :slight_smile: Definitely drop a comment on the feature request if it’s something you’d like to see added.

Is there any update about this feature maybe? This would be so useful

Have you figured out a good way to make this more ‘global’? It’s SO tedious to have to do this for every single pm.test.

Come on! just make it already
I wish postman had some really good competition out there so they’ll get back to developing stuff for the users instead of changing themes every month.

@rubinhood

Did you upvote the outstanding feature request on github?

[Feature Request] Ability to read the collection and folder names in sandbox · Issue #6926 · postmanlabs/postman-app-support · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.