How to view the collection of a given request tab

Hi guys,

Given this scenario.
Postman UI, with a lot of collections created and listed on the left-hand menu, and lots of requests tabs from different collections open.

Now, say you want to close some of those open request tabs.

Is there a simple way to see to which collection the request tab to be closed, belongs to ?

I have tried scrolling through the list of collections on the left-hand side, hoping to see some visual (color difference) indication of the collection in question, but I do not see any info along this line.

I also tried doing a “Save As” on the request tab, hoping that the collection would be somehow singled-out in the “SAVE REQUEST” pop-up box, from the list of all collections shown, but I cannot find any info or visual indication this way either.

I have the feeling that the info is in front of me but somehow I cannot see it.

Any hint would be welcome.

Cheers,
Bene

Hey @beroca, thanks for writing in. The active request selected in a tab is highlighted in the collection in the sidebar. However, this only works if, for example, the collection / folder in which the request resides is open. We know this isn’t the most reliable way of finding out the parent folder / collection and we’re working on improving this.

Another rather odd way of finding your parent folder / collection would be to go into the Authorization tab of your request. If you have Inherit Auth from Parent selected, the empty state on the right will actually show you the name of the collection.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @vk.postman !
The 2 options you mention work.

Agree, that making the relation (request, collection) easier to visualize would be helpful.
Nonetheless, your suggestions are very useful in the meantime : )

Hey everybody.

Just found this as it was #1 response of my google search and I can’t find anything similar.

Is there an update on this, since another year passed?
It is really a pain in the ** to find the current tab, or erroneous requests from the collection runner when using lots of collections and folders.

Is there any “open current tab in collection hierarchy” keyboard shortcut?
I found the request through the search, but I can’t get from the request to its collection folder…

In the collection runner there is at least the path to the request. However it really sucks that it’s just shown when hovering with the mouse.

So can you please make finding requests more easy?

Best regards,
Marv

1 Like

Definitely need a navigation method from the open request tab back to its parent collection.

I find I have many different collections on the sidebar so usually filter them, but that filtering is lost when Postman is closed and re-opened with the same request tabs still open. Also need to be able to find the collection easily if I need to edit it and update an auth token before repeating a request.

It’s common in the IDEs that I use to make use of a “find open object in project” navigation.

1 Like

yes open current tab in collection hierarchy
or “find request in collections” will be even more important if we can ever “reuse” a request

I can use search sometimes but with really large collections with any real folder hierarchy I can sometimes find the request I need but still not be able to find where in the collection it is without opening every single folder and scrolling maddly.

also search closes all the folders and there is no open all folders option, basically it’s a massive pain to use any large collection.

It would very helpful, we have a lot of collections and it’s very hard to navigate.
Most common use case: find API request via “Find a replace”, update API, make sure you are in correct collection, or check nearby related collections in same folder.

Our team does this a lot. And IDE based “navigate to collection” or “select opened request” as in IDEA would very very helpful!

It’s a garbage application that’s why! Think about it. Is there anything more basic and simple than this? Why can’t you right click on the tab and get all the information about it? Why can’t the active collection be auto selected when you focus on a tab? Why can’t the collection and folder information pop up when you mouse over the tab? You get none of these. So if your team collection has a 100 collection with 1000 requests Postman’s solution is for you to manually search each one. Only a garbage tool offered by a garbage company would reply so.