Merging after a Change has already been made

Hi there, Iā€™m having an issue with version control in Postman. Iā€™m using the Free version, so that may be the cause of the struggle but I havenā€™t been able to find out if thatā€™s the case, yet.

Issue:

Origin Collection has 2 Forks with a Tester 1 tag and a Tester 2 tag.

Tester 1 merges a change to the Origin collection.
Tester 2 doesnā€™t have this change, but needs to merge their change to the Origin collection.

When Tester 2 comes to ā€œPull Changesā€ from the Origin collection, so both changes from Tester 1 and Tester 2 can be merged together in the Origin collection, this isnā€™t possible.

"Pull Changes" seems to make you pick the Changes made in Origin, OR add the changes from Tester 2 which will undo the changes initially made by Tester 1.

Why canā€™t I Pull changes and Add Tester 2ā€™s changes on top of Tester 1ā€™s changes?

Iā€™ve searched articles/blogs, GitHub and Youtube and I canā€™t seem to find this even brought up anywhere so I figured I must be missing something that everyone else has no issue with. (Tell a lie, I did find a Youtube video explaining Fork + Merge, and they do the same thing Iā€™ m trying to do and it didnā€™t work and they blamed it on connection issuesā€¦soā€¦yeah.)

Any advice/help? Would be really appreciated as I donā€™t see the point using Fork & Merge if I canā€™t get this to work.

Hi @LiamC,

Could you give more details on the type of changes Tester 1 and Tester 2 are doing? I just tried running the scenario you describe with Tester 1 changing the request type and Tester 2 adding a body and I was able to pull the changes from Origin before merging the changes from Tester 2 without any problem.

Sure, so here is what Origin looks like:

Tester 1ā€™s Changes, literally a comment line:

Merge these changes to the Origin:

Tester 2 wants to merge their changes made to the origin too:

Conflict, requires Tester 2 to Pull the changes made by Tester 1:

Whichever change you pick Source OR Destination, it will get rid of the other and when you click Pull, itā€™ll overwrite whatever change you didnā€™t pick, for example - now the Origin will ONLY have Tester 2ā€™s changes:

I must be missing something, because ā€˜Pull Changesā€™ basically does nothing for me right now except overwrite something.

Postmanā€™s official video demo-ing this couldnā€™t even do it on screen, and instead said it was down to a connection issue:

Around @26:00 in the video.

This is indeed not feasible as we donā€™t handle merging the content of a file yet. I have opened a feature request here, feel free to complete if I have missed anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like