Newman.run~events - Summary object details

Please search for related topics, and then read through the guidelines before creating a new issue.

Describe the bug
This is a Request for information, Not a Bug.

1. Looking for information which clearly defines the availability of the Summary objects based on the Newman event. I have looked in all the package descriptions such as https://www.npmjs.com/package/newman#newman-run-collection-file-source-options and scoured github posts. (i.e., is summary.run available “on.” console event).
  2. More details on the content of child objects. Stepping through or attempting to log each level of the items to the console is extremely tedious. Having the information in one place would be extremely useful.
  3. On a console event, is the console log available to the newman. run script? and if so how?

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
Not Applicable

Expected behavior
A clear and concise description of what you expected to happen.

A clear and concise description of the summary object and it’s availability to the various events.

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. Please make sure images or code samples don’t contain authentication tokens or credentials.

App information (please complete the following information):

• App Type [e.g. Chrome App, Native App]
  • Postman Version [e.g. 6.0.1]

Not Applicable.

Additional context
Add any other context about the problem here.

I am finding the Nodejs/Newman.run an extremely valuable and useful option, however it is taking way to much time trying to find information on it and having to rely sole on blogs, is not a great way to work.

Hey @jilllancaster,

I have some experience using those events to create new reporters etc. More than happy to walk through anything that’s confusing. You mentioned that you have found them useful so far - Are you able to share an example of how you have been using these?

Danny,
Thanks for the response. My example is very amateurish at present as I’m currently still stepping thru newman.on to determining what data is available when. Right now the only things I am unable to collect are all Postman App Test/Assertion Results (only the failed results) and the Request Body (only because I did not get that far.)

In the Postman App I have a set of collections which are set up in such a way as to drive all Requests within one collection from a random database record selected by the first Request/Response. Each item in the collection uses a set of passed variables to configure the Request URL and then collects and creates the variables to pass to the next item.

My goal is to be able to run these collections at any time, log and save all the results, then run the exact set of tests in another environment (i.e., using that same randomly selected record from the original run). Once done in both environments, a simple compare of files should provide the results I want.
To do that I want the following to match for each “item” from both executions:
• Request URL
• Request Body
• Response
• Postman App Test/Assertion Results

The initial run of the collection will captured, format, package and save the information related to the specific Collection/Request Name/<PreRequest/Request> . A later compare run will use a directives file to initiate the same collection in a new environment and pick up the initial results to compare against. The initial data collection run and the compare run may executed manually via nodejs/newman or related to a new build in Team City. The original postman app collections may be run via the postman app or as part of the collect/compare scripts.

Thanks for your interest and any advice you may have.
Jill

const newman = require(‘newman’);
const fs = require(‘fs’);
var tcName;

newman.run({

collection: require("./PostmanCollections/newmanWriteTest.json"),
globals: require("./QA_Workspace.postman_globals.json"),
environment: require("./A1Env.postman_environment.json"),
reporters: “cli”

}).on(‘prerequest’, function (error, summary) {
console.log(" “);
console.log(”/n");
console.log(" ** ON PREREQUEST**");
if (error) {
console.error(error);
console.error(‘collection run encountered an error.’);
}
else {
console.log(" ** ON PREREQUEST ELSE *********************");
console.log(“summary Globals :”);
console.log(summary.item.name);
tcName = summary.item.name;
console.log(JSON.stringify(summary.item.name));
console.log("STATS run.executions 0 ");
}

}).on(‘request’, function (error, data) {
console.log("/n");
console.log(" ** ON REQUEST **");
if (error) {
console.error(error);
}
else {
console.log("/n");
console.log(" ** ** ON REQUEST **");
console.log("TCNAME is : ", tcName);
var responseBody = data.response.stream;
var responseStr = responseBody.toString();
fs.writeFile(response.txt, JSON.stringify(responseStr), function (error) {
if (error) {
console.error(“request FUNCTION ERROR *******************”);
}
});
}

}).on(‘beforeRequest’, function (error, args) {

if (error) {
    console.error(error);
	return;
	}
else {
	console.log("   ");
	console.log("/n");
	console.log(" ** RESPONSE ARGS **");
	fs.writeFile(`requestURL.txt`, args.request.url.toString(),  function (error3) {
    if (error3) {
		console.error("beforeRequest FUNCTION ERROR  *******************");
		return;
		}
	});
}

}).on(‘console’, function (error, summary) {

if (error) {
    console.error("ON ITEM FUNCTION ERROR  *******************");
}
else {
	console.log("ON console : ");
	console.log("/n");
    console.log('***********************  ON CONSOLE  n************************************');

console.log(summary.toString());
    console.log(JSON.stringify(summary));
}

});

Just to ask a clarifying question - Is there a reason that you’ve chosen to craft this solution in the script and not use something like the built-in JSON reporter that would create most of that data and output it to a file?

Just extending the reporters key to be reporters: ['cli','json'] would create the file. You mentioned running a build in teamcity, there is also a community reporter for this too - https://www.npmjs.com/package/newman-reporter-teamcity

You could even create your own reporter and add the different events in there so it outputs them in a format that you want, that could just be run like any other Newman reporter - https://github.com/postmanlabs/newman#creating-your-own-reporter