Postman Dependencies in Test Script

Hello folks,

I am new in postman.
What I want to archieve is:
When I test the API via postman, I can put external data like JSON

Imagine:
You do a request to an API, which delivers you an attribute, which you will need for another request like:

someId = 12345

You need this value, to request another API.
Is there a way, how I can do dependencies in collection tests with external files?
That I can also store the result for example temporary for another request?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Anton,

We usually use a variable to store data that is passed from one request to the other.

Using files is rather complicated as Postman has limited access to the filesystem.

1 Like

Thank you.

Do you have an example, how to do this?
Like calling API one, safe data and put it to another one?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Anton39,

I think this article explains what you´re looking for: https://blog.getpostman.com/2014/01/27/extracting-data-from-responses-and-chaining-requests/

Best,
Christian

1 Like

Hi @Anton39,

You can use Global variables as well as environment variables to store the data you have received as a response for the next request based on your requirements.

1. Global Variables: Save the value retrieved from the JSON response as a global variable.These values will be available across all environments. Given below is an example for the same:

Example JSON response:

{

“responseTime”: “100”

}

Usage: pm.globals.set(“variable_key”, pm.response.json().responseTime);

1. Environment Variables: Save the value retrieved from the JSON response as an environment variable. These values will be available in a specific environment which you have selected as shown in the attached image:

Example JSON response:

{

“responseTime”: “100”

}

Usage: pm.environment.set(“variable_key”, pm.response.json().responseTime);

To get a detailed understanding on how to use Global and environment variables, have a look at the following link: https://learning.getpostman.com/docs/postman/environments_and_globals/intro_to_environments_and_globals/