Postman won't start (Windows 10)

As title says, Postman v6.7.4 won’t start on Windows 10.

I did have an earlier (unknown) version of Postman working and at some point it stopped working. Since then I have uninstalled/reinstalled many times. During installation process the install screen displays very quickly then nothing.

When I launch Postman nothing happens aside from the cursor briefly changing to indicate something is processing. Checking Task Manager Postman does sometimes appear under Background Processes for less then a second then disappears.

From various research I have set the following environment variables:

• POSTMAN_DISABLE_GPU = true (this had no effect)
  • ELECTRON_ENABLE_LOGGING = true
  • ELECTRON_ENABLE_STACK_DUMPING = true

I have deleted the directory: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Postman

Launching postman via admin powershell from C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Postman\app-6.7.4\Postman.exe gives me the following:

Backtrace:
        node::Init [0x00007FFAF545B400+928]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF60CE36B6B]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF60CE42307]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60E322D1E+1008110]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60E4F0D85+2900565]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60E7828E9+5594553]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60E4C781D+2731245]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60E4C770C+2730972]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60F1BF552+16329250]
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF60E0A14F0+17234304]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF60CE0BC8D]
        IsSandboxedProcess [0x00007FF60F9A7353+24619043]
        BaseThreadInitThunk [0x00007FFB3F913034+20]
        RtlUserThreadStart [0x00007FFB41F03691+33]

I get a blinking cursor on the command line and that’s it.

EDIT: Checked the C:\Users\ \AppData\Roaming\Postman\logs directory after the failed launch and it is completly empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

I have the same issue with the latest version and windows 7, I just close and restart until it loads, so far I have not found the solution

This is terrible … i have the same issue on Windows8 pro and cursor keep on flickering and its been 6 hours postman opened, still not up. No solution heard so far…

Hi @Natarajjk,

Welcome to community :wave:

Would you be able to share the App Startup Logs from view > Developer > View Logs(.zip folder), Network Logs from View > Developer > Show DevTools (Current View) and View > Developer > Show DevTools (Shared) and send them to help@getpostman.com?

Let us know if no logs are found in : C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Postman\logs

Once the logs are shared, can you follow the steps from this link here.

we have solved this issue… added POSTMAN_DISABLE_GPU “true” under system variables and it is working now … thanks

4 Likes

where are the system variables?

Hello @Yummyfunnybunny ,

Warm welcome to the Community :wave:

Kindly refer the below link for getting to know about System Variables for Postman:

It works fine for me. Thanks !!!

Hi,
I am having the issue to open the postman desktop from Windows 10. I had followed the instruction https://support.postman.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025359014-Troubleshooting-steps-for-Postman-desktop-issues to remove all postman local files from AppData\Local\Postman and AppData\Roaming\Postman. And reinstalled the Postman-win64-8.12.5-Setup.exe. However, I still not able to open the postman desktop. Any suggestion? Thanks.

I have the same problem. Renamed / removed files, unistalled from Windows 10, downloaded Postman-win64-9.6.0-Setup.exe and installed - nothing changes. No Postman process in task manager, nothing starts. If i start it from Powershell / Terminal, no error occurs… no new directory in AppData\Roaming, so also no logs - just files in AppData\Local. Has someone fixed it or a clue?

@Stephunis Could you follow the suggestions mentioned in this thread and see if that helps?

@Kurmavatar what do you mean?

I started it already from Powershell, nothing happens (also no output):

I tried also the GPU variable which has also no impact:
grafik

I renamed/removed \AppData\Local\Postman and \AppData\Roaming\Postman.
I uninstalled it with Windows and reinstalled Postman-win64-9.6.0-Setup.exe.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Postman looks like on following picture:
grafik

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Postman is not existing after uninstalling.

No Postman process in Windows Task Manager apears in any case.

Is there anything else i am missing?

I have this exact same issue Windows 10 21H2 (19044.1415).

Tried disabling GPU as above, along with deleting everything from AppData and reinstalling. Nothing opens in Task Manager.

I had the same (I believe) problem. I was able to get Postman to launch by running the .exe from:

AppData\Local\Postman\app-9.4.1

1 Like

Tried this as well, both as standard and run as admin. Along with copying the app folder onto another drive to rule out permissions issues gettting to AppData.

Just had this happen after having Postman open earlier in the day. Tried to open it again and it would just blink through the task manager and never display a window. Logs didn’t reveal any issues. The Fix for me was to go into AppData\Local\Postman\ and go into a previous app-# folder (the latest one didn’t work). Open the Postman.exe that was in there (might have to try a couple to find one that works). Once it opens you can then do a check for updates and it will re-download and install the latest version. After that, I was able to open Postman as normal from the start menu.

8 Likes

your steps helped me. thanks

Thanks. This worked for me.
Just for record: 10.1.2 worked and was able to run that from AppData followed by an update which fixed everything

Worked as well for me on Win11.
The issue was caused by a failed update from version 10.7.0 to 10.8.0, so there was the folder for 10.8 but no Postman executable in it. The main Postman.exe is likely looking for the latest version available and when it doesn’t find the executable fails silently. This is quite uncomfortable, since it’s hard to understand why the error occurred.

TL;DR :

• go to C:\Users\<my-user>\AppData\Local\Postman
  • check if the latest app-X.Y.Z folder has no Postman executable in it
  • delete the folder and try to start Postman as usual after that.

This will run the older version of Postman and re-download the failed update.

6 Likes

an here we are 4 years later I can’t start postman at all, nothing happens, and no, I am not going to hack registry or system files, I don’t even have admin right on this machine. I am sorry but if I double click on a app, I am expecting the app to work or show some kind or useful errors

2 Likes