Receiving spam from postman mail address

I own a domain and setup mail addresses for every service I use.

Today I received a spam email, sent to my postman mail address (postman@mydomain.com). Needless to say, this address is not used anywhere else.

Was postman hacked or were my account details sold by postman?

Hello @postman2,

I can see that you posted Trim variables in environment on Sep’18 which makes your presence visible on this community support platform. Looking further, I can see your email address is visible on your profile.

It is widely used practice to scrape community support platform to scrape for email addresses and send targeted emails to users. I suspect this might be the reason you got spam.

We have set-up DMARC policies for all of our domains (and sub-domains) to protect our users from such SPAM attempts. We should get DMARC forensic report for further forensic if your email recipient server is configured to comply with DMARC policy. We will keep you posted with relevant information If we become aware of any other reasons.

In addition to that, I would like to emphasize the fact that Postman does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information as mentioned in Postman’s privacy policy.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this, or if you need further clarification, and I’ll be happy to further assist you.

Dear priyalviroja

Thanks for replying on my request.
I understand your explanations. It turned out that the name of my profile was actually my email address. I don’t remember having entered my mail address in that field when setting up the account. Was this automatically done when having logged with an SSO provider?

Regards

Hi @postman2,

Yes, While setting up the account via Postman account, I can confirm the mapping as follows:

Postman Username -> Discourse Username
Postman Name -> Discourse Name
Postman Email Id -> Discourse Email Id

Please check the value of “Name” field in your postman account and confirm the same.

Unfortuantely I can’t confirm your claims. The name was set to my mail address. However, I changed it and my problem is therefore resolved.

Thanks for your assistance!